Sunday, December 23, 2012

Hair today, gone tomorrow

It was time. 

I have been growing my hair out for a couple years.  Let me explain why.   Right around the same time, three awful things were happening.  An innocent boy was in a car accident that would change his life, a toddler boy was experiencing seizures and a lively librarian was diagnosed with cancer - while she was pregnant. I found myself reading their blogs daily, hoping for good news and often feeling drained when there was none.  Then I would feel guilty that I was annoyed with my 3 crazy (healthy) kids at the end of the day.   I became lost in the sad news.  There was nothing I could do to help these boys or the librarian that used to teach at our school.  Nothing. 

Then it hit me.  I could donate my hair to a good cause.  I know it is not much, but when I realized I could easily grow my hair and give it to a sick child who truly needed it, it was a no brainer.  Soon, ponytails and I became inseparable.  We were besties.  Together everyday. 

Fortunately, those two boys are improving with each day!  Sadly, our school librarian passed away when her daughter was only 10 months old (she had just turned 30).  Her little girl will never meet her amazing mom...

Fast forward to the other day.  I realized I was looking like the before pictures in the makeover segments on television.  You know what I am talking about, right?

See for yourself.

I cannot believe I am posting these.




I knew I wanted to go shorter.  Then short seemed like fun.  A good change.  A necessary change.  So I went for it.






It will take me a bit to get used to, but it is a small price to pay.  I am healthy, my hair will grow back.  And who knows, maybe I will donate it again.  But for now, I am having fun playing with hair clips and headbands!

And - just for fun - a BEFORE:


And AFTER:


Have you had your hair cut lately? 

Are you ready for Christmas?!?!
 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for going with me! And taking pictures!!

      Delete
  2. That was such a wonderful thing you did. And you're right your hair will grow and you can always do it all over again. But I love your new short hair do! It is so stylish! I have never seen you before with long hair. It doesn't even look like you! I bet it is so strange when you wash your hair and dry it now. You are beautiful! What does Chad and the kids think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new hairdo and what a wonderful "act of kindness" you've done. We should all follow your generous example. Lindsay has donated hair to "Locks of Love". IS this the organization your hair went to?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...